With the concrete work complete on Dublin's new Liberty Hall a building tradition takes place high above the city.
The last of the structural concrete is laid on the top of Liberty Hall, Dublin’s first skyscraper. To mark the occasion and in accordance with tradition, a makeshift flag made from a workman’s shirt and a piece of scaffolding is hoisted, a building trade symbol to signify the job is complete. The Irish flag is also flown.
The next operation to be undertaken by workers is the fitting of windows, floors and the completion of internal building.
The new Liberty Hall, designed by architect Desmond Rea O’Kelly was built between 1961 and 1965. It was constructed on the site of the earlier Liberty Hall, which was destroyed during the Easter Rising in 1916.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 1 December 1963. The film shown here is mute.