Monument honours the men who served on ships tasked with bringing vital supplies to Ireland during the Second World War.
A park in Irishtown in Dublin is now the site of a new memorial to Irish merchant seamen lost during the Emergency.
Following the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, Ireland declared itself to be neutral. World shipping withdrew from Irish ports, and the Irish Mercantile Marine was solely responsible for the transport of supplies to and from Ireland.
Sixteen ships were lost in unprovoked actions at sea during 1939 – 1945 and 149 men died.
The granite memorial with its simple inscription was unveiled this afternoon in memory of all the men who sailed, and those who did not return.
The ceremony involved an ecumenical service, and music was supplied by the Ringsend concert band. A colour party of Sea Scouts from the first and fourth port of Dublin troops were also in attendance.
Captain PD Fortune, who was Master of the MV Kerlogue, which came under attack on more than one occasion during the war. He paid tribute to those mariners who through their service to their country put their own lives at risk,
In order to bring in vital supplies to our small island country, to sustain our economy...it was necessary to send our seamen across the oceans, in ships old, unarmed and unfit for the task.
In addition to the unveiling of the memorial, wreaths were laid and fifteen trees were planted by students from schools in the locality. Minister for the Environment Ruairi Quinn is also present, as is Dublin City and County Manager Frank Feely.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 8 April 1984.