Archbishop of Dublin John Charles McQuaid unveils a plaque honouring Matt Talbot.
The bronze plaque was unveiled and blessed by Most Rev Dr John Charles McQuaid on a block of flats at Upper Rutland Street near to where Matt Talbot (1856-1925) lived. The block of flats is named Matt Talbot Court.
Most Rev Dr John Charles McQuaid thanks President Éamon de Valera for attending the ceremony
In honour of the servant of God, Matthew Talbot.
The engraving on the plaque reads,
These flats have been named Matt Talbot Court to commemorate the servant of God Matt Talbot who for the last 25 years of his life lived in a single room in 18 Upper Rutland Street. This house with many others was demolished to make room for these flats.
John Charles McQuaid also announced that the remains of Matt Talbot are to be moved from the open vault in Glasnevin Cemetery to his parish church, Our Lady of Lourdes, on Sean McDermott Street.
Also among the guests were the Bishop of Quaestoriana, Most Rev Dr Carroll, the leader of Fine Gael Liam Cosgrave, as well as trade union leaders and members of the religious.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 29 August 1971.