The people of Ballylanders in south east Limerick are the stars of this opening sequence to 'Hall's Pictorial Weekly'.
The pleasant village of Ballylanders (in Irish Baile an Londraigh) in the Ballyhoura region is situated on the Limerick-Mitchelstown Road. Locals go about their business and the yard at the National School, founded in 1893, is a lively and happy place to be.
The former Church of Ireland is a prominent landmark in the village. Now a ruin, it was constructed circa 1820, and intended to be part of a castle for the Earls of Kingston. Due to lack of funds the building became a church instead, but by the 1880s was no longer in use.
Once a week, from June to September, the 'Hall's Pictorial Weekly’ film crew would arrive at a town or village in any county in Ireland. They would film the people and the place and return to RTÉ where the footage was edited and put to music.
This short film of around one minute’s duration formed part of the opening sequence for that week’s episode. But no-one knew which location had been chosen, and it was not advertised as part of the programme billings in the RTÉ Guide or newspapers.
So with this in mind, people the length and breadth of the country tuned in religiously, in case it was the turn of their town or village to have its few minutes of fame.
This episode of ‘Hall’s Pictorial Weekly’ was broadcast on 9 April 1975.