A Georgian house on South Leinster Street in Dublin is restored and used as a modern business premises.
While many buildings in Dublin are being demolished to make way for modern office blocks, developers MEPC (Ireland) Limited have restored an original Georgian house at 6 South Leinster Street in Dublin as a commercial proposition and linked it to the adjacent modern complex. The employees of Asbestos Cement Limited
Go from 18th century elegance to 20th century efficiency.
Architect John Costello says the Georgian house dates from around 1740, and while the building had great merit, it was not included in the preservation list of the Dublin town plan.
It was a sort of forgotten building.
Rather than demolish the Georgian building and replace it with a modern office block, the development company that bought the adjacent site was convinced enough in its worth to
Restore the building and adapt it for modern use.
From an architectural point of view there are three reasons why it is an important building. Firstly, in Dublin terms, it is an old building with European influences and a simple robust style, possibly designed by the renowned architect Richard Cassels. The building also houses some very important plasterwork by the Dublin plaster worker Robert West. Finally in terms of detail, all original fireplaces, doors and locks were present in the house.
Great care was taken with the building’s interior design so that it could work in a modern office setting but also
Respect what is essentially the real quality of the house, it was to avoid say, the obvious and the vulgar and to emphasise the quality.
A 'Tangents' report broadcast on 8 October 1973. The reporter is Janet Moody.