Ceremonies mark the foundation of Temple Street Children's Hospital in Dublin one hundred ago.
The centenary of Temple Street Hospital was marked with a celebrated mass by Archbishop of Dublin Dr Ryan in Saint Francis Xavier Church on Gardiner Street. The occasion was also saw the opening of a new nurses home and x-ray department, attended by President Éamon de Valera. The new buildings were officially opened by the Minister for Lands, Mr Seán Flanagan.
In 1872, Temple Street Hospital was opened in a large house on Buckingham Street by Ellen Woodlock. Mrs Woodlock was a philanthropist who helped to establish a number of institutions in Dublin which provided social services to the poor. The hospital had twelve beds and it's opening marked a period when Dublin's infant mortality rate was one of the highest in Europe.
In 1897, the hospital was taken over the Sisters of Charity and made the move to the buildings on Temple Street, the former home of the Earl of Bellomont. In the early days of the hospital, it received charitable donations from many famous people including Oscar Wilde and Lord Russell of Killowen.
In those days, the cost of maintaining the hospital was about eighteen pounds per year per person. One hundred years on, it is more than forty-five pounds a week.
During the 1930s, Temple Street benefited from the Irish Hospital Sweepstakes fund and the hospital underwent extensive modernisation.
New medical and surgical theatres were constructed making the hospital one of the most modern in Europe.
The hospital now has 230 beds and in 1971 catered for more than 6,000 inpatients and over 70,000 outpatients.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 11 November 1972.