The amenities of North Bull Island in Dublin Bay are to be developed while ensuring its wildlife and rare plants are protected.
North Bull Island, a man-made island in Dublin Bay is home to a wealth of flora and fauna, some of it very rare. A bird sanctuary was established on the Island in 1931, the first of its kind in Ireland. It is also a popular destination for those wishing to participate in recreation activities such as walking, sailing or playing golf.
Dollymount beach, a long stretch of sandy beach and dunes on the eastern shore of the Island is a huge draw for Dubliners, and to facilitate their arrival by car, the construction of a causeway to the island began in 1962.
In April 1967 Dublin Corporation agreed to appoint a full-time park ranger to patrol the Island. In addition a boundary fence will be erected, preventing access to the private Royal Dublin Golf Club and to the canal which poses a potential danger to children playing in the vicinity.
A speed limit of 12 miles per hour will be imposed on motorists using the foreshore. In addition, seats will be provided on the Island, bathing huts will be refurbished and health inspectors will make checks on the Island’s catering huts.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 12 April 1967. The footage shown here is mute.