On this day in 1973, RTÉ Radio began live broadcasts from Montrose in Donnybrook, Dublin. The first scheduled programmes were 'Rogha Ceoil', 'Music on the Move' and 'Morning Airs'.
The new Radio Centre had been completed in April 1971, when the move began from the GPO in O'Connell Street, which had been the home of radio since 1929. Apart from continuity announcements, transmissions from Henry Street had ceased by May 1974. At that stage, all but three of the thirteen new studios in Montrose were operational.
In 1999, Ryan Tubridy made the radio documentary 'Moving House', about the move to Montrose. In this clip, broadcaster Pat Kenny reminisces about conditions inside the GPO.
'Moving House' was broadcast on 2 August 1999.
The accompanying image shows the RTÉ Radio Centre in Montrose in 1974. © RTÉ Archives 0858/090
Find out more about the History of RTÉ.