Ringsend Bridge is renamed in memory of Seán Mac Mahon who fought in the Easter Rising.
Born in 1894 in Dublin, Seán Mac Mahon who was a member of the 3rd Battalion, Dublin Brigade, served under Commandant Eamon de Valera at Boland's Mills during the Easter Rising of 1916, and under his orders he had taken over Westland Row Station, holding it until the surrender.
The plaque was erected by Seán Mac Mahon's former comrades in the Old IRA (Irish Republican Army).
Following his arrest he was detained in Wakefield, Frongoch, and lastly Wormwood Scrubs before he was released in December 1916.
Active during the War of Independence, he continued as Quarter Master General when the Free State was formed in 1922 and succeeded General Richard Mulcahy as Chief of Staff, retiring in 1927 due to ill health.
Prior to the unveiling of the plaque at Ringsend President De Valera is received by Stephen Keyes, chairman, 3rd Battalion, and the parade of Old IRA volunteers under the command of Vincent Byrne, chairman of the Dublin Brigade.
The Presidential Salute, last Post and Reveille are sounded by trumpeters from Saint Brigid's Brass Band, Blanchardstown.
General Mac Mahon's sons Terence and Sean Michael, and his daughter Kathleen Brennan attended the unveiling ceremony, as did Lord Mayor of Dublin Eugene Timmons.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 30 April 1966. The footage shown here is mute..