In 1963 Garda training moved from Dublin to Tipperary.
As part of the decentralisation of public services Garda training will move from the Depot in Dublin's Phoenix Park to Templemore County Tipperary.
From January 1964 all new recruits will be trained at the new centre in Templemore. The Depot at the Phoenix Park will continue as the administrative headquarters of the force. The Depot at the Phoenix Park had been the training centre of the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) before the Garda Síochána took it over after 1922.
This report shows the final passing-out parade held at the Depot in Dublin. The final inspection is carried out by Minister for Justice Charles Haughey.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 20 December 1963. This clip is without sound.