A fire destroys three shops and damages other business premises on Henry Street Dublin.
At 6 am a passing garda reported a fire in the Henry Street shopping area of Dublin city centre. The blaze was fought by 9 units of the Dublin Fire Brigade who continued to damp down the smouldering embers 12 hours after it was first reported.
The blaze totally destroyed Connolly's shoe store, Hickey’s Fabric shop and the Peter Marks hairdressing salon. At one point the fire threatened to engulf 12 stores, including Arnotts, at the intersection of Henry Street with Liffey Street. It is likely the damaged buildings will have to be demolished because of their dangerous condition.
No one was seriously injured in the blaze but a fireman collapsed due to smoke fumes. Following treatment he was discharged from the Richmond Hospital.
The only residents affected by the fire are the owners of the Morosini-Whelan School of Dancing next door to Hickey’s. They were evacuated from their home, however
Their studio below with sixty years of dance music records and tapes was burned to cinders.
Dancing teacher Mary Morosini-Whelan has lived at the premises since the 1940s. She was in bed when she discovered the fire,
The crackling of the breaking glass woke me up.
She saw Connolly's shoe store was ablaze so immediately telephoned the fire brigade. While Mary Morosini-Whelan appears calm she knows,
The whole thing will hit me tomorrow, at the moment I’m kind of just keeping the best side forward.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 4 April 1982. The reporter is Brendan O’Brien.