Dancers from Ireland and overseas take part in the Irish Dancing World Championships.
The Irish Dancing World Championships were held at Colaíste Mhuire, Dublin.
Thousands of dancers who qualified from their own particular region compete for the titles. Dancers travelled from the UK, America and Australia to compete.
Irish Dancing World Championships (1971)
The adjudicators include Siobhán Ní Longaigh, ADCRG from London; Eibhlin Bean Mhic Chormaic, ADCRG from Dublin; and Maire Ní Osain, ADCRG from Cork.
The music is provided by the Siamsa Ceilí Band from Dundalk.
The overall winners were:
- Junior Ceilí Dance Championship - Inis Ealga, Dublin
- Intermediate Boys Championship (Under 15) - John Burns, Matthews School, Dundalk
- Junior Figure Dance Championship (Under 16) - Inis Ealga
- Ladies Championship - Kavanagh School London
- Intermediate Girls' Championship - Imelda Florence Walsh, Dublin
- Senior Ceilí Dance - Kavanagh School
- Senior Boys Championship - J Johnson, Matthew School
- Senior Figure Dance - (Tie) Inis Ealga and Cullinane, Cork
- Senior Girls' Championship - Maureen Sheridan, Crean School, London
- Minor Ceilí Championship - Heeney School, Dundalk
- Men's Championship - Dan Armstrong, Armstrong School, Belfast
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 24 April 1971.