The Halfpenny Bridge a much loved Dublin landmark reopens after being closed for renovation.
The refurbishment of one of Dublin's oldest bridges cost almost two million pounds and took nine months to complete.
Lord Mayor Michael Mulchay cuts the ribbon at the official reopening of the Ha'penny Bridge.
One small step for the Lord Mayor... a big step for Dublin.
TD Tony Gregory is also pictured paying a ha'penny to cross the newly refurbished bridge.
Tim Brick of the Dublin Corporation provides a brief history of the bridge, which has become a hugely significant piece of the infrastructure of the city. Having fallen into poor repair, Dublin Corporation stepped in to finance the necessary renovations.
In a hundred days it carries three million people.
The Ha'penny Bridge was first opened in 1816 and was tolled for around one hundred years before the pay booths were removed in the early 20th century. Around 30,000 people now cross the bridge every day.
Architect Paul Arnold describes the reconstruction project and the conservation of the original fabric of the bridge.
We were able to ensure that very little was actually changed.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 21 December 2001. The reporter is Eileen Whelan.