The Irish Veteran and Vintage Car Club's seventh international Gordon Bennett Commemoration Run through Kildare, Laois and Carlow.
In 1903 the Gordon Bennett Cup, established by millionaire owner of the New York Herald James Gordon Bennett, Jr., was the first international motor race to be held in Ireland. While this race attracted the international daredevils of the day, those participating in the seventh annual Gordon Bennett Commemoration Rally take a more sedate approach to the event.
Flagged off by the German Ambassador they leave the premises of sponsors Motor Distributors Limited at the Long Mile Road in Dublin and make their way to the Kilkea Castle Hotel, near Castledermot in County Kildare.
The final stage of the run takes in parts of the original Gordon Bennett Cup course of 1903 and participants gather at the Gordon Bennett Race memorial at the Moat of Ardscull.
An RTÉ News Report broadcast on 14 July 1981.