"Reynolds garrison opened up rapid fire"

By Wednesday 26 April, British reinforcements began to descend on Dublin city. The gunboat Helga sailed up the Liffey and shelled Liberty Hall. Brigadier-General Lowe, Commanding Officer of the British forces decided to isolate the General Post Office from the Volunteer strongholds. As the fighting intensified some Volunteers in the outposts in O'Connell Street were ordered to return to the GPO.

Cormac Turner describes how the British forces attacked his position Hopkins and Hopkins with both machine gun and sniper fire. At one point they were under such heavy attack that they could not stand up.

I ate my first meal of the day lying flat on the floor.

John O'Connor,a member of the 1st Battalion was in position in Jameson's Distillery in Smithfield. He remembers that while the men were barricading the building they found not only small bottles of whiskey but also Cuban cigars, which they shared with their comrades in the outposts around the Four Courts.

Michael Hayes was a member of 'C' Company, 3rd Battalion and served in Jacob's Biscuit Factory under Commandant Thomas MacDonagh. He remembers that the garrison were short of arms and he was ordered by MacDonagh to go out and call on men who lived in the area who had not turned out to get their weapons .

Volunteer Seamus O Tallúin, 1st Battalion was arrested early on and describes his treatment after his arrest when he was being held prisoner in Arbour Hill.

Prionsias MacAonghusa describes the arrest and execution of the pacifist Francis Sheehy-Skeffington in Portobello Barracks on the orders of Captain Bowen-Colthurst.

Desmond Ryan recounts how after finally arriving at Kingstown, the Sherwood Foresters, reinforcements from England split up and began their advance into Dublin city, one regiment making there way towards Mount Street bridge right into the firing line of Lieutenant Michael Malone and his men who were in position in No. 25 Northumberland Road and Clanwilliam House.

Captain Simon Donnelly who was in Boland's Bakery describes how once they got word that the British had landed at Kingstown they prepared themselves for battle, reinforcing vulnerable positions.

Tom Walsh, a member of 'B' Company, 3rd Battalion fought in Clanwilliam House and describes how he was knocked out when he fired his weapon for the first time. The British soldiers trying to cross Mount Street Bridge were easy targets for the Volunteers who fired volley after volley into the wave of men that kept charging.

This gave the impression of a giant human khaki-coloured caterpillar.