"Cathal Brugha alone saved the situation"

By Thursday 27 April, British reinforcements were pouring into the city and continued their efforts to isolate the GPO. In many of the garrisons food supplies were running low and many men were lacking sleep. Despite this they remained in good spirits.

"You didn't sometimes mind it because the excitement I suppose of being still alive."   

Simon Donnelly, Captain 'C' Company, 3rd Battalion remembers that the British army did not press a frontal attack on Boland's Bakery after the huge casualties they suffered at Mount Street. Rather sniper's and machine guns and a naval gun were used against the Volunteers in Boland's.

Volunteer John O'Connor, describes hearing the sound of the sniper fire from his position in Jameson's Distillery, Smithfield.

"We didn't know where they were coming from."

Michael Hayes, who fought in Jacob's states that they came under fire from British snipers in Ship Street Barracks.

Paddy Buttner, a member of the small party sent to take over the Athletic Stores beside the College of Surgeons recalls what it was like to be under fire, he was only sixteen years old at the time.   

Volunteer Liam O Briain was one of fourteen men stationed in houses in York Street beside the College of Surgeons and describes how the building came under heavy fire from the British positions surrounding the Green. 

Account from an unnamed Volunteer of the attack on the South Dublin Union, where that afternoon Cathal Brugha held back the British forces single-handed in the Nurses home. Despite being wounded twenty-five times he survived his injuries. 

Nora Connolly had been sent with her sister Ina and a number of girls to Belfast and Dungannon to rally the Volunteers there, but it was all to no avail. The Connolly sisters decided to go back to Dublin and Nora describes the journey .

"I was very depressed. The disappointments I had met and the feeling that I had failed in the task given went step by every step with me."

On making his way to the GPO, Peter Carpenter, Irish Citizen Army, was sent with a party of men under the command of Oscar Traynor to occupy the Metropole Hotel.

Cormac Turner, Kimmage Garrison recalls how after his group had evacuated Hopkins and Hopkins they made their way to the Imperial Hotel. O'Connell Street was being bombarded by artillery and Turner describes how above all the sounds of the battle he could hear the Volunteers in the GPO singing 'The Soldier's Song'.

Jim Ryan, 'B' Company, 1st Battalion was a medical student at the time of the Rising. He was in charge of the medical station in the GPO and recalls how he had to treat James Connolly after he was shot while inspecting an outpost on Prince's Street earlier that day.

James Connolly's son Roddy  served as Aide de Camp to his father and Patrick Pearse in the GPO. He describes the takeover of the building on Easter Monday.

"The atmosphere was one of fierce excitement and exaltation." 

Liam O Briain recalls how that evening, while the battle was going on he began to reflect on what they were actually doing.