The stone on which the Treaty of Limerick was signed undergoes some repair work for the first time since it was erected.
The famous Treaty Stone situated at Thomondgate in Limerick is reputedly the stone on which the Treaty of Limerick was signed on 3 October 1691. This treaty ended the war between the Jacobites and supporters of William of Orange.
The pedestal supporting The Treaty Stone was erected in 1865 by the Mayor of Limerick John Richard Tinsley. It was built by John Connelly and designed by William Corbett.
In July 1962 at a Limerick City Council meeting, Councillor Vincent Feeney stated The Treaty Stone was falling down from neglect. The pedestal supporting the stone was badly in need of pointing. If repairs were not carried quickly, the whole monument was in danger of collapsing. City Engineer with Limerick Corporation Charles Stenson agreed to investigate the matter.
The issue was raised again by councillor Gerard B Dillon at the October meeting of the Limerick City Council. The city engineer reported he had been unable to find a suitable person to carry out the necessary pointing work on the monument.
At the end of November 1962 The Treaty Stone has some much needed repair work. This is the first overhaul for the stone since it was erected. The work is carried out by John McNamara, a stonemason with 300 years tradition of working with stone in his family. He is aided by his assistant Michael O’Laughlin. Together they begin pointing and scrubbing the monument.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 28 November 1962. The footage shown here is mute.