Why not make your own eggs this Easter?!
- 400 g 70% dark chocolate (good quailty)
- 12 small to medium chocolate egg moulds (make sure that they are dry and clean)
- 50 g white chocolate (for decoration)
- special chocolate colourings
Method to Temper the Chocolate
Step 1:- Melting the Chocolate:
- Chop the chocolate quite finely and place 150g in a glass bowl
- Melting the Chocolate – There are two ways of doing this:
- Microwave and Bain-Marie:-
To Melt Chocolate using Bain Marie:-
- Use a saucepan that is large enough to fit your glass bowl and half fill with water.
- Bring the water to the boil and remove from the heat.
- Place the glass bowl with the chocolate in it on top of the saucepan.
- Stir continuously until the chocolate has melted.
- Remove from the bowl from the saucepan and allow to cool for ten minutes.
Cooling Down the Chocolate:-
- Stir the chocolate and add the remaining 50g of finely chopped chocolate.
- Stir until melted and lump free.
- Now we need to reheat the chocolate – if using the microwave method, use the lowest setting and place in the microwave for five seconds.
- If using the bain marie method – heat the water in the saucepan, remove from the heat and place the bowl with the chocolate in it on top of the saucepan for 15 seconds only.
Making the Moulds:
- Pour the chocolate into the eggs moulds. Make sure all the moulds are covered with an even layer of chocolate
- Then turn the moulds up side down over the bowl to remove any extra chocolate.
- Allow to set in a cool, dry place – not the fridge
- Scrape away any remaining chocolate from the mould
- Turn out onto a sheet of cling wrap or baking parchment
- Carefully ease out of the mould
- There are many ways of filling the Chocolate eggs:
- Chop and roast 100g Hazlenut mix with 100g of chocolate spread.
- Melt 150g of White chocolate with 4 fl oz UHT cream and 2 fl oz Raspberry coulie . Allow to cool and set. Then whip and fill.
- 100g of Milk chocolate melted stir in 50g rice crispies, 50g dried cranberries.
- Fill with you favourite sweets.
- Once filled pipe a little melted chocolate around the edge and stick together.
Please follow instructions carefully:
- Place the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave and heat on the lowest setting for 1 minute.
- Stir with a spatula and heat again using the lowest setting for one minute.
- Repeat this until the chocolate is melted.
- DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO USE A HIGHER SETTING AS THE CHOCOLATE WILL BURN.
- Stir the remaining chocolate and leave for 5 minutes.