A collection of antique guns once owned by a parish priest go up for auction at the Burlington Hotel in Dublin.
The biggest single collection of antique fire arms ever to come on the Irish market is sold at an auction by Christies of London held in the Burlington Hotel in Dublin. The sale is in conjunction with George Mealy and Sons.
The guns were collected by Canon Charles Travers, parish priest of Lurgan, County Cavan who died in 1975.
Many of the guns are in working order. They do not come under the Firearms Act because they are all muzzle loaded and require black gun powder to fire them.
So there was little danger that the sale of the 250 guns would attract the attention of any illegal organisations.
The collection includes blunderbusses and muskets that would have been used in the 1798 Rebellion. They were sold for between £300 and £500 each. A seven barrel goose rifle sold for £1,900 and a colt .56 five shot percussion revolving sporting rifle sold for £1,300. A walking stick rifle was sold to a London dealer for £220.
Lot 78, an Irish back action percussion six barrel sporting rifle was bought by assistant keeper of the National Museum of Ireland (NMI) Pádraig Ó Snodaigh for £2,100. Canon Travers originally paid £20 for this rifle. In total the NMI paid £5,811 for items at the auction.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 3 June 1976.