Cathal Mac Coille reports on the continuing restoration work on Duiske Abbey in Graiguenamanagh, County Kilkenny.
Duiske Abbey was founded in 1204 by William Marshall, the Earl of Pembroke. It is the largest medieval Cistercian monastery in Ireland and currently serves as the parish church in Graiguenamanagh town.
Local teacher Éamon Ó Leannáin outlines the history of the Cistercians in the area and the establishment of the church in the village.
Restoration work on the Abbey commenced in 1974 and is hoped to be completed in 1979. To date work has been completed on the chancel, the crossing and the North transcept. Dublin architect Percy le Clere is managing the project in co-operation with local craftsmen.
An RTÉ News report by Cathal Mac Coille broadcast on 5 August 1976.