Indecent assault case against priest dismissed

Tuesday 13 May 2014 19.20
The judge at Cork District Court said he could not find the defendant guilty beyond reasonable doubt
The judge at Cork District Court said he could not find the defendant guilty beyond reasonable doubt

A case against a priest, who was charged with a single incident of indecent assault on a 14-year-old boy at a school in Co Cork in the 1980s, has been dismissed.

Fr Liam O'Brien, of Woodview, Mount Merrion Avenue, Blackrock in Dublin, had been charged with a single incident of indecent assault, while he was a teacher Coláiste an Chroí Naofa, Carraig na bhFear in Cork.

At Cork District Court this afternoon, Judge Tim Lucey said he could not find the defendant guilty beyond reasonable doubt and dismissed the charge.

The charge was first made in 2011 and referred to an incident which was alleged to have taken place at the school between September 1984 and June 1985.