Martin Walton describes his activities in Jacob's Biscuit Factory during the Easter Rising.

Martin Walton was only fifteen years old when he took part in the Easter Rising. He was a member of 'C' Company, 2nd Battalion, Dublin Brigade, Irish Volunteers. He had joined the Gaelic League when he was only a child and through the League he came into contact with the IRB. He joined the Irish Volunteers three weeks before the Easter Rising. Recalling a meeting of the 2nd Battalion at Fr Mathew Park, Fairview, on Holy Thursday 1916 Walton says they were addressed by their Commandant, Thomas MacDonagh who told them that there were plans by the authorities to carry out raids on the Volunteers. They were given their mobilisation orders for Easter Sunday.

While on his way to Beresford Place on Sunday afternoon Walton was told of the countermanding order. 

There was great disappointment about things being called off.

The next morning Walton recalls that he had a terrible toothache and while trying to locate a dentist in the city, missed the mobilisation of his battalion. Although he saw armed Volunteers walking through the city, he took no notice. It was only when he heard the sound of machine-guns later that evening that he realised something was on. 

Walton's parents knew that he was involved in some way with the Volunteers. In an effort to stop him from taking part in whatever was going on, they took the valves out of his bike so he couldn't cycle into town. Not one to be dissuaded, the next day he told his parents he was going to work and made his way straight to the GPO. When he arrived he discovered that his battalion had occupied Jacob's Biscuit Factory, but Walton did not know how to get there. 

After some time he found his way and on reaching Jacob's he saw a hostile crowd waiting outside. Throughout the week there remained a crowd outside Jacob's, who were not afraid to let the Volunteers know just exactly how they felt. Walton recalls one incident when he himself was nearly attacked by a woman. She made at hit him with a heavy object. A Volunteer inside Jacob's was watching and seeing that Walton was about to be hit opened fire.

It was the first blood I saw shed. I remember her head and face disappearing and she went like a sack on the ground.

Throughout the week Walton brought dispatches between Jacob's and the GPO. Eventually he was prevented from getting back to his unit. H and another Volunteer Jack Cotter decided to make their way out to Ashbourne and join Thomas Ashe's unit there. But on getting to Ashbourne they found he had surrendered.

Walton was not arrested and after the Rising he got a job in Brennan's Bakery in Arklow. Realising that there was quite a lot of hostility towards the Volunteers, he did not tell anyone of his involvement.

Remembering the aftermath of the Rising,Walton states that the British themselves helped turn the people in favour of the Volunteers.

They made a much martyrs as they could. They did everything wrong.

Walton rejoined his Battalion. He was arrested during the War of Independence and was imprisoned in Ballykinlar Internment Camp. He fought on the pro-Treaty side during the Irish Civil War. Apart from his revolutionary activities, Martin Walton was an accomplished Violinist. In 1924 he established the Dublin College of Music and also opened Walton's Music Shop. Martin Walton died in 1981, he was eighty years old.