Man dies after e-cigarette fire in England

Friday 08 August 2014 20.43
People are being advised to use the original chargers with e-cigarettes
People are being advised to use the original chargers with e-cigarettes

A man has died after his e-cigarette exploded into flames and ignited oxygen equipment he is believed to have been using, fire chiefs in England have said.

The 62-year-old was found dead in the living room of a house on Penkett Road in Wallasey, Merseyside.

The exact cause of death is yet to be established.

A fire investigation by Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service found that an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier.

There was a small amount of smoke damage to the property, though the small fire in the bedroom had been extinguished by the time firefighters arrived.

An inquest will be held to determine the cause of the man's death.

It is the ninth fire involving e-cigarettes on Merseyside alone since the turn of the year, MFRS said.

Area manager Myles Platt from MFRS said: "The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.

"We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.

"Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source," he said.