Over 9,000 families to lose One-Parent Family Payment

Wednesday 18 June 2014 18.09
The Department of Social Protection says those affected will be contacted this month to explain the change
The Department of Social Protection says those affected will be contacted this month to explain the change

Over 9,000 families are to lose their One-Parent Family Payment next month when a previously announced measure comes into effect.

Changes to the eligibility criteria for the payment were announced two years ago, gradually reducing the number of those receiving the benefit.

The change is dependent on the age of the claimant’s children, along with when the payment was first commenced.

From 3 July 9,100 families will no longer receive the payment.

The Department of Social Protection says those affected will be contacted this month to explain the change and to offer further assistance if needed.

Most recipients will transfer to Jobseekers Allowance, while some families may be moved to an increased Family Income Supplement payments or Carer's Allowance payment.

Reform Alliance Senator Fidelma Healy Eames raised this issue in the Seanad today.