Boy killed in lift accident to be buried in Galway cityFriday 17 January 2014 16.19
A three-year-old boy who died following an incident in a building in Galway earlier this week will be buried in the city tomorrow.
Solomon Soremekun will be laid to rest following a prayer service.
He sustained fatal injuries when he became trapped in a lift shaft in the Hynes Building in Galway city centre on Monday.
Solicitor Gerard O'Donnell, who is representing the boy's mother Omolara Alabi, met with his client this afternoon.
Mr O'Donnell said she was very distraught and traumatised at the death of her son.
The family had only moved to Galway in recent weeks and were visiting a Department of Social Protection office in the building, to complete paperwork associated with their move, when the incident occurred.
Mr O'Donnell said Ms Alabi wanted to know what happened to her son and how he came to lose his life.
He said that she has not received answers to these questions to date.
Inspectors from the Health and Safety Authority spent much of the week conducting a detailed examination of the lift area in the three-storey building. The lift entrances have been sealed and locked.
The building reopened to the public this afternoon.