Orange Order applies for new parade through republican Ardoyne area

Thursday 18 July 2013 16.01
1 of 4
The Parades Commission is due to rule on the Orange Order's request tomorrow
The Parades Commission is due to rule on the Orange Order's request tomorrow
More than 70 PSNI officers have been injured in the riots since Friday
More than 70 PSNI officers have been injured in the riots since Friday
Loyalists staged a protest outside Stormont during the debate yesterday
Loyalists staged a protest outside Stormont during the debate yesterday
Willie Frazer was arrested for breaching his bail conditions
Willie Frazer was arrested for breaching his bail conditions

The Orange Order has applied to the Parades Commission to march past the republican Ardoyne area this weekend.

The order was banned from parading through Belfast last week, a move which led to five nights of violence in the city.

The Parades Commission is due to rule on the request tomorrow.

The commission ruled last week that the Orange Order could march past Ardoyne on the Crumlin Road on the morning of 12 July, but could not use the same return route on Friday afternoon.

A motion that described last week's ban as "illogical" was passed in Stormont yesterday.

The Democratic Unionist Party motion was won by a single vote during a specially reconvened sitting of the Assembly.

Meanwhile, a further 300 police officers from the UK have arrived in Belfast to assist the PSNI in dealing with street violence, which has continued in loyalist areas since last Friday.

An additional 1,300 officers have now been called to the region within the past week.

Fewer people were involved in the attacks on police in loyalist areas of Belfast last night, but the damage was still extensive.

Four cars were hijacked and set on fire in the east of the city and another vehicle was burnt out in Newtownabbey.

Seven people were arrested, but none of the rioters or police were injured.

'Work to be done' in ending sectarianism

Meanwhile. President Michael D Higgins has said that people who have influence in Northern Ireland must strongly denounce the violence of recent days.

Speaking in London, the President said what people saw on their television screens was simply unacceptable and people with influence needed to accept their responsibility to forthrightly say so.

He called for leadership from those who believe in peace, saying peace was much more than a signature on a piece of paper.

The disturbances show that the "toxins" of a divisive past have not entirely abated, he said.

He said there was still much work to be done in promoting reconciliation between communities and ending sectarianism.

Despite these challenges, he said that Britain and Ireland now much better understand, respect and honour their shared history.

Meanwhile, former US envoy to Northern Ireland Richard Haass has arrived ahead of all-party talks aimed at tackling divisive community issues.

The autumn talks are aimed at dealing with issues such as parades and flags.

It is hoped he can bring forward a set of recommendations by the end of the year.