skip to main content

Find at hotel building site in Trim

An archaelogical find has been made at a controversial building site opposite Trim Castle in Co Meath, Ireland's largest and most important medieval fortification.

A four-storey 58-bed hotel is to be built on the site, a controversial development because the Minister for the Environment, Martin Cullen, declined to accept a recommendation from Heritage officials that an appeal should be lodged against it.

A Department spokesman confirmed that officials from the Office of Public Works will travel to Trim on Monday to assess the artefact which was turned up during excavations on the site earlier this week.

The spokesman said an initial assessment of the find, which is a piece of pottery, suggests it is not of major significance.

However Trim town councillor, Philip Cantwell, has expressed concern and called for a thorough investigation.

He said he was already worried that excavation works on the site could endanger the Castle's curtain wall and has written to the OPW and EU Environment Commissioner, Margot Wallstrom.