Richy visited Today with Maura and Dáithí to celebrate the end of the US Election campaign with an all American meal - The Hot Dog. Paired with red onion marmalade, it makes an excellent dish!
- 5 Red onions
- 400g sugar
- 80g red wine vinegar
- 300ml red wine
- Star anise
- ½ tsp cardamom seeds
- 4 lime zest and juice
- Place the sugar, red wine vinegar, red wine, star anise, cinnamon, lime & cardamom seeds in a saucepan.
- Bring to a soft boil (114c) use a sugar thermometer
- While this is reducing chop the red onions
- Add the red onions and cook for minute
- Add the lime zest at the last minute
- Remove the onions from the liquid & reduce the liquid to a jam like consistency.
- Add the onions back into the liquid
- Ispini Fada (Clonakilty Sausages)
- Pan roast with a little olive oil & rosemary
- Serve in a soft bread roll ( baquette), with mustard & ketchup
- Top with your red onion marmalade