This is an old classic and a family favourite. Just yummy with some strawberry jam and fresh cream.
- 225 g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 55 g butter
- 40 g sultanas/raisins (optional)
- 25 g caster sugar
- 150 ml milk
- 1 free-range egg, beaten, to glaze (alternatively use a little milk)
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the sugar and sultanas and then the milk to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2 cm thick. Use a 5 cm cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well-risen and golden.