A healthy vegetarian dish that makes for a tasty starter or light lunch, from The Restaurant.
- 6 sheets rice paper
- 2 carrots (peeled and grated)
- 1 mango (peeled and stoned)
- 0.5 cucumber (peeled)
- 0.5 chili (de-seeded)
- 1-inch stem ginger peeled
- 50 g shitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 spring onions (trimmed)
- 1 tblsp chopped mint
- 12 sprigs coriander (leaves only)
- 1 tblsp soya sauce
- 1 tblsp mirin
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 1 lime, juice only
For dipping sauce:
- 1 water
- 150 g sugar
- 3 tblsp fish sauce
- 1 lime (juice only)
- 1 tblsp chopped ginger
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and roughly chopped)
- First make the dipping sauce. Put the water, sugar and fish sauce in a pot and heat until the sugar dissolves. Then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes and leave to cool and then add the limejuice, ginger and garlic.
- Leave to infuse for at least one hour and strain the sauce.
- To make the rolls, grate the carrots and place in a large bowl. Then slice the mango, cucumber, chili, ginger, shitake mushrooms and scallions and add to the bowl and mix everything gently.
- Make the marinade by whisking the soya sauce, Mirin and palm together and pour it over the vegetables.
- Stir the vegetables in the marinade to make sure that it is well incorporated.
- To assemble the rolls, soak some rice paper in cold water until it softens, then place on a damp cloth on the counter.
- Divide the coriander and mint between the rolls and place the marinated vegetables on top.
- Roll the paper gently but firmly until you have a long cylindrical shaped roll.
- Slice off the top and tail of it and divide in 4 pieces.
- Serve with some of the dipping sauce.