Jim Power, Michael Keyes, Minister for Posts and Telegraphs, Sile Ni Bhriain, announcer, at the formal opening of the continuity suite in Radio Éireann studios at the GPO in Dublin on 19 April 1956.

In 1953, two additional studios were added to the three existing radio studios in the GPO. The old Radio Éireann studios at the GPO were, by the 1950s, very outdated. They had been in use since 1928 and over the years had been re-arranged on an ad-hoc basis, so that the old orchestra studio served as a passage to the news room.

An additional six new studios were built to accompany the three existing studios. These were on the third floor of the GPO, on the O'Connell Street side. They had the drawbacks which were inevitable for studios fitted into an office building: the ceilings were too low, and it was very difficult to get efficient sound-insulation and combine it with ventilation and air-conditioning. However, compared with the old fourth floor studios in use since the 1920s, they were a marvel of modernity.

The new studios were also equipped for the production of round table discussions and plays.