Patients transferred as St Vincent's Hospital moves from Dublin city centre to a new site at Elm Park.
It was the end of an era for St Vincent's Hospital on St Stephen’s Green today, but the beginning of a new one. The hospital which has cared for the people of Dublin for 136 years moves to a new home at Elm Park In Donnybrook.
The transfer of patients to the new hospital began earlier this month, and today the final 73 patients were shuttled across the city, many by the Civil Defence. Garda motorcyclists ensured that this large scale operation was a smooth one.
St Vincent’s was established in 1834 by Mother Mary Aikenhead, foundress of the Religious Sisters of Charity. She purchased the Earl of Meath’s town house on St Stephen’s Green, and for 136 years the religious order looked after the health of the people of Dublin. In addition,
It made history then when it became the first hospital in these islands to be run by women.
The new hospital is the largest voluntary teaching hospital built in Ireland or Britain since the Second World War. With 445 beds it is equipped with advanced medical and surgical facilities, an Accident and Emergency Department, Outpatients Department and a clinical laboratory.
There are lecture theatres, a library and operating theatres fitting with view domes for the 300 medical students who will train here. The hospital will also have a school of nursing and a training centre for administrative staff.
An investment of £5 million has been involved, coming from private donors and the Irish Hospitals Trust.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 1 November 1970.