Paul Flynn stops by the TODAY studio in Cork to whip up a simple batch of pancakes, with three varieties
- 100 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 300 ml milk
- 1 tblsp melted butter or sunflower oil
- 1 granny smith apple (peeled, cored and cut into 8)
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 small knob of butter
- 1 tsp butter
- 8 pecans or whole almonds
- 2 tblsp lemon curd
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Crack the egg into the well; add the melted butter or oil and half the milk. Gradually draw the flour into the liquid by stirring all the time with a wooden spoon until all the flour has been incorporated and then beat well to make a smooth batter.
- Stir in the remaining milk. Alternatively, beat all the ingredients together for 1 minute in a blender or food processor. Leave to stand for about 30 minutes, stir again before using.
- To make the pancakes, heat a small heavy-based frying until very hot and then turn the heat down to medium. Lightly grease with oil and then ladle in enough batter to coat the base of the pan thinly (about 2 tablsp.), tilting the pan so the mixture spreads evenly. Cook over a moderate heat for 1-2 minutes or until the batter looks dry on the top and begins to brown at the edges. Flip the pancake over with a palette knife or fish slice and cook the second side.
- Turn onto a plate, smear with a little butter, sprinkle of sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice – enjoy!
- Heat the oil and add in the apples,
- Cook over med high heat,turning once or twice for 2 minutes.
- Add the pecans and butter, followed by the sugar.
- Cook until golden brown and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Mix the sugar into the raspberries and microwave for 2 minutes
- Spread the warm pancakes with the lemon curd, fold into quarters and put on plates.
- Make your sauce, scoop your ice cream and place on the pancakes.
- Divide your sauce over the ice cream.
More by Paul Flynn:
- Countdown to Pancake Tuesday: Paul Flynn's P'Cakes
- Chicken, Chorizo, smoked paprika cream: Today Show
- Soy Steamed Cod and Crisp Gingered Vegetables