My grandmother is Japanese and miso is one of my all-time favourite ingredients. You can get it in most good supermarkets and this surprising combination makes the dreamiest breakfast. It's creamy, nutty and sweet with a salted caramel vibe and such a delicious way to change things up.
90g of oats
- 400ml almond or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of sweet miso paste (or white or yellow miso paste)
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 10g sesame seeds
- 20g of walnuts
- Add the oats and almond milk to a saucepan and place it on medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, miso paste and maple syrup.
- Bring it up to a simmer and then cook for about 3 minutes until the oats are tender.
- In another pan, toast the sesame seeds and walnuts just until golden.
- When the oats are ready, stir in the miso tahini mixture, gently whisking until smooth.
- Serve with a drizzle more of maple if desired and the toasted nuts and seeds sprinkled on top.
Recipe courtesy of Flahavan's