Quick and easy, this delicious, hearty Ratatouille is perfect for those long, cold days. It's ideal for both weaning babies as well as the whole family.
- Prepare the vegetables. Deseed the peppers and cut into 2.5cm chunks. Finely slice the basil stalk.
- Add 2 tablespoons for oil to a large casserole pan. Add the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Cook in batches if your pan is too small.
- Spoon the veg into a large bowl and add some more oil to the pan.
- Add the garlic, onion, basil and thyme leaves. Cook for 10-15 minutes until all vegetables are softened and golden
- Return the cooked veg to the pan and stir in the fresh tomatoes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Simmer over a low heat for 30-35 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Serve with either rice or pasta. Puree your baby’s portion.
Note: Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes prior to freezing or placing in the fridge. Cool in the fridge for two hours before freezing.
Storage + Weaning
This recipe will keep in the freezer for 3-4 months* without the rice or pasta. Store in the Mixed Starter Set pots to ensure you only defrost what you need for your weaning baby.
*Ensure not to batch blend too much here as a portion prepared for stage 1 will have no benefit for stage 2 due to pureed texture.
Suitable for your weaning baby from 4months plus blended without the pasta/rice.
Serve as a finger food from 6 months plus with carbohydrates onwards or as a dinner adjusting the texture as required.
Recipe courtesy of Siobhan Berry of www.mummycooks.ie.