Make a big batch to have for lunch throughout the week - just keep the dressing separate. For extra protein add some shredded roast chicken!
- 260g quinoa
- 100g red split lentils
- 100g raw hazelnuts
- 50g mix of pumpkin and
- sunflower seeds
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ small head of broccoli, chopped
- ½ large cucumber, cut into cubes
- 75g feta cheese, cut into cubes
- 25g fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp light tahini
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 level tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp tamari or soya sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
Make a big batch to have for lunch throughout the week – just keep the dressing separate. For extra protein add some shredded roast chicken!
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water to get rid of its bitter coating. Place the quinoa in a saucepan and pour in 750ml water. Cover the saucepan and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes, until the germ has separated from the seed. Tip into a colander to drain off any excess water, then set aside and allow it to cool (I keep it covered while it’s cooling, which helps it to fluff up).
- Put the lentils and 250ml water into a separate small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10
- minutes, until the lentils have softened but haven’t turned to mush. Remove from the heat, strain and set aside to cool completely.
- To toast the hazelnuts, preheat the oven to 200°C. Put them on a baking tray and toast them in the oven for 10–15 minutes, until the skins have started to loosen. Remove the hazelnut skins using the roast-and-rub method: tip the warm nuts into a slightly dampened kitchen towel, fold up the sides and rub the skins off using the towel.
- To toast the pumpkin and sunflower seeds, spread them over a baking tray and toast them in the oven along with the hazelnuts for a few minutes, until they start to turn golden.
- Tip the seeds out of the tray and set them aside.
- When the quinoa and lentils are cool, place them in a large mixing bowl with the remaining salad ingredients, including the toasted hazelnuts and seeds. Use a fork to toss everything together.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients until smooth. Drizzle most of the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Divide the salad between shallow bowls or plates and drizzle the rest of the dressing on top.