Siobhan Berry shares here delicious Moussaka recipe, which she thinks is the perfect family meal.
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of stock
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 3 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Heat a large pan with some olive oil and add the onions, carrots, garlic and sauté until just beginning to brown before stirring in the herbs and cinnamon.
- Add the lamb and allow to brown for 3-4 mintues.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, purée and stock, bring the mixture to the boil before reducing to a simmer for 30-40 minutes while you make everything else.
- Heat a pan with some olive oil and brown the potatoes in batches for 1-2 minutes aside.
- Line an oven proof dish with half of the potatoes, pour in the mince mixture and then top with the remaining half of the potatoes
- For the topping, melt the butter in a pot, add the flour and cook over a medium heat for one minute to cook out the flour. Gradually whisk in the milk, bring it to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Allow to cool slightly and then beat in the egg.
- Pour over the topping and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden-brown and the potatoes are fully cooked.
Recipe courtesty of Siobhan Berry of www.mummycooks.ie