Siobhan Berry shares a delicious healthy soup that ensures your little ones are getting as much vegetables in as possible along with the added fibre and protein of the lentils.
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 75g of red lentils
- 500ml of low salt chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 slice of wholemeal bread
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots and cook for 6-8 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add the lentils and pour in the stock.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are nice and soft.
- Blend the soup until smooth for the entire family adjusting for baby if necessary.
- To make the croutons, slice the bread into cubes and heat the remaining tbsp of olive oil in a pan.
- Toast the croutons for 2-3 minutes a side until golden and brown. Place on top of your soup and enjoy!
Small sprinkling of chili flakes to garnish, for adults
When preparing lentils for your baby it is advisable to soak them in water for about 30 minutes before use.
Recipe courtesty of Siobhan Berry of www.mummycooks.ie