Ideal tasty small bites for this Easter. While sprinkling and decorating are fun, the most enjoyable part is of course eating them!
- 65 g (21/2 oz) baking margarine, softened
- 100 g (31/2 oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp dr. oetker natural vanilla extract
- 200 g (7 oz) plain flour
- 2.5 tsp dr. oetker baking powder
- 75 ml (3 fl.oz) whole milk
- 200 g (7 oz) icing sugar
- dr. oetker sugar strands
- 65 g (21/2 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp finely grated rind unwaxed orange
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven, 350°F/Gas 4). Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment. In a mixing bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together until pale and creamy then beat in the egg yolk and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Gradually sieve in the flour and baking powder, and add the milk, stirring well after each addition, to make a smooth, thick cake mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a 1cm (1/2inch) plain nozzle.
- Pipe small mounds on the baking trays - you should be able to make 24. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until risen, lightly golden and firm to the touch.
- Cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing, sift half the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and gradually mix in 10-15ml (2-3 tsp) water to make a smooth, spreadable icing.
- Spread thickly over the peaked side of 12 halves and sprinkle thickly with sugar strands. Leave for a few minutes to set.
- For the filling, put the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until soft.
- Gradually sieve in the remaining icing sugar, beating well after each addition, to make a smooth, spreadable icing. Add vanilla extract and spread thickly over the flat sides of the remaining pie halves. Sandwich 2 halves together to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Dr. Oetker.