Twist on tradition, bringing the lemon and sugar pancake into the modern era!
- 125 g thick readymade custard, use best quality
- 150 g good quality lemon curd
- 4 egg whites
- 25 g caster sugar
- Use the basic pancake mixture but after each pancake is cooked put a layer of greaseproof paper or baking parchment between them to stop them sticking. Allow them to cool at room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C. Heat the custard until it is just warm, using the microwave if its easier.
- Whisk in the lemon curd into the custard and whisk the egg whites until they reach a soft peak and then add the sugar. Then fold the egg whites into the custard mixture.
- Put six pancakes on a baking sheet, filling the centre of each of them with 2 – 3 dessertspoons of the soufflé.
- Using a palette knife, fold the pancakes in half but don't press them down. Put them at once into the hot oven for 3 minutes.
- After removing them from the oven, use a palette knife to gently slide each pancake onto large heated plates . Dust with icing sugar
- Serve at once, two per person.