This is a great recipe for a light lunch or supper-colourful, crunchy and figure friendly. The chickpea base has a wonderful flavour and texture, you wont miss the meat at all! Chickpeas are low calorie and fibre rich, keeping you fuller for longer and balancing blood sugar levels. The filling will stay fresh in the fridge for 3 days and makes a super packed lunch. Go easy on the sour cream and grated cheese for a thinner dinner.
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch ground chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 400 g tomato purée
- 400 g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tblsp coriander, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup low fat grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 125 ml low fat sour cream (optional)
- Cook the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft. Stir in the spices for a minute. Add the purée, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Mix in the fresh coriander and season to taste.
- Heat up the tortillas in the oven if preferred.
- Divide the chickpea mixture between the tortillas and add tomato, onion, avocado, cheese, sour cream and lettuce.
One portion (two filled wraps) contains 392 kcal, 13g protein, 29.7g carbohydrates, 17.6g fat (of which 3.9g saturated) and 7.1g of fibre