One of my favourite recipes for entertaining, this salad looks fabulous for Christmas with ruby red pomegranate jewels and juicy mango. The ish ingredient is Chinese 5 Spice which is an aromatic blend of spices that marries perfectly with luxurious duck breasts. Toasted sesame oil, another ish factor, and plenty of fresh lime, finishes off this very special sensational salad.
- 2 barbary duck breasts
- 2 tblsp chinese 5 spice
- 150 g baby salad leaves (no rocket)
- 2 mangos, peeled and sliced
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- seeds of 1 pomegranate
- juice of 2 limes
- few drops toasted sesame oil
- 2 tblsp chopped coriander
- 100 g pea shoots (or fine alfalfa or radish shoots)
- Trim any excess fat from around the edge of the duck breasts. Score the fat in a diamond pattern. Rub the flesh well with the Chinese 5 spice, don't sprinkle on the fatty side as it will burn. Lay fat side down in a medium hot pan and render out the fat until a thin crispy layer is left. Turn up the heat and seal the breast from the other side.
- Mix the baby leaves, half the coriander, spring onions and pea shoots together. Arrange on a large platter or individual plates.
- When the duck breast is cooked to medium rare, remove from the pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice and return to the pan. Squeeze the lime juice over and stir over a medium heat until the duck is cooked to your liking. Duck breast should be served medium rare but you can cook it very gently for longer if you have squeamish guests.
- Arrange the duck on the bed of salad, scatter over the mango and pomegranate seeds. Pour over the juice and toss gently.
- Garnish with the rest of the coriander, spring onion and pea shoots. Sprinkle over a few drops of sesame oil.
Notes: Recipe available in Rozanne's cookbook, Delish, available in good bookstores nationwide