For that special family dinner.
- 1 teddybear (or other) pumpkin (cut into 12 wedges)
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1.1kg bone rib of beef approx (chine bone removed and trimmed)
- 1 tblsp groundnut oil
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 200 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 tblsp caster sugar
- sunflower oil for deep frying
- 75 g plain flour
- 1 tsp cayenne (or paprika)
- 1 large onion (cut into 1cm wide slices and broken into rings)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toss the pumpkin pieces in a roasting tray with the thyme, garlic and oil and season well. Roast the pumpkin in the oven for 20-25 minutes until tender and catching colour.
- Season the rib of beef well with salt and plenty of pepper. Heat the oil in a roasting tray on the hob and seal the beef for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Transfer to the oven to roast for 20 minutes for a medium rare finish (or longer if you prefer your beef more well done). Remove and leave to rest in a warm area.
- Meanwhile, make the balsamic sauce. Blend the cornflour in a little of the vinegar and add to a small pan with the remaining vinegar, thyme and sugar.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes until thickened.
- Heat a pan a third filled with sunflower oil for deep frying. Toss the cayenne and flour together in a wide dish and season well. Pass the onion rings through the beaten egg and then the spiced flour to coat evenly. Gently deep fry the onion rings for 2-3 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Drain well on kitchen paper.
- Remove the beef from the roasting tray and drain any oil out. Add 50ml (2 fl oz) of water to the tray and bring to the boil on the hob, scraping any sediment from the bottom.
- Remove the rib bone from the beef and add to the tray along with the balsamic sauce and any beef resting juices. Simmer for 1-2 minutes before straining through a fine sieve into a serving jug.
- Cut the beef into slices and arrange on each serving plate. Serve with the roasted pumpkin wedges, spiced onion rings and balsamic sauce.