How about some pavlova with home made ice-cream? The staple dessert for an Irish home, from Angeline Ball.
- 4 free-range egg whites
- 50 g caster sugar
- 200 ml water
- 100 g sugar
- 150 g blueberries
- 150 g raspberries (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 squares dark chocolate
For the ice cream:
- 250 ml cream
- 250 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 free-range egg yolks
- 75 g sugar
- 4 tblsp lavender flowers 2 hours to fuse
- To make the ice cream, place the cream, milk, sugar, vanilla seeds and the lavender in a large pot and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Put the egg yolks in a bowl and whisk until they are pale and thick.
- Pour the hot cream mixture over the eggs, stirring all the time and then pour everything into a pot and bring to just under a boil and simmer for about 15-25 minutes or until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for at least 2 hours and then sieve the mixture to remove the lavender and pour into an ice cream machine and churn until thick.
- For the Pavlovas, whisk the egg whites and sugar until they are thick and shiny.
- Shape them into 6 circular mounds on some baking parchment and then cook in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes at 145°C. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Place the sugar and water in a pot over a medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the berries and bring to a boil and reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the liquid has a sauce-like consistency. Leave the mixture to cool.
- Place one Pavlova on a dish and place a scoop of lavender ice cream on top.
- Drizzle with some of the berries and sauce, and garnish with some fresh raspberries and some grated chocolate.