Richard Corrigan serves up a delicious seafood salad!
- 1 kg mussels (cleaned)
- 4 eating apples (washed and grated)
- some sea lettuce (washed, chopped and sliced)
- sushi vinegar
- 1 tuscan cauliflower/ romanesco (broken into florets and blanched)
- rapeseed oil
- 2 beetroot (washed, peeled and par boiled for 15minutes)
- Put the mussels into a large heavy based saucepan that has a tight fitting lid, steam for 5-7 minutes or until all the muscles are open and you can see the orange mussel meat.
- Remove from heat once cooked.
- In a separate bowl mix the grated apple and the sea lettuce.
- Add sushi vinegar about two shake and mix together well.
- Add the blanched Tuscan cauliflower also known as romanesco, mix together well and check seasoning.
- Add some more vinegar and pour over some rapeseed oil. Checking the flavours are balanced as you go.
- Thinly slice the beetroot. To make a little extra dressing whisk together, a little of the mussel cooking liquor, some rapeseed oil and sushi vinegar.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to make sure the dressing is palatable and balanced to taste.
- Get a large flat dish or individual plates. Squeeze the apple and seaweed into small golf ball sized rounds.
- Put a slice of beetroot on the bottom of the plate, put the apple and seaweed ball on top and top with another piece of beetroot. Place a couple of mussles on top.
- Drizzle over some dressing and you have a stunning starter.
When slicing the beetroot it's advisable to wear rubber gloves or disposable plastic gloves to avoid staining your hands and nails.