This Italian favourite makes the perfect main course for romantic meal for two for under €10!
- 2 x 200g sirloin steak
- 1 pack parma ham
- 24 basil leaves
- coarse ground black pepper
- 4-5 tbsp a little white wine
- 25 g butter
- pinch of sugar
- Trim all the fat off the steaks and, with a very sharp knife, cut across the steak to make three thin slices.
- Lay out the slices of Parma ham on the board and lay a slice of steak on top.
- Season well with black pepper.
- Lay the basil leaves on top and roll into a little cannon shape.
- Heat a pan to medium hot, add a little oil and sear the rolls for about 90 seconds on each side until they are nicely browned. Remove from the pan and rest for 2 minutes.
- Throw a splash of white wine, a 25g knob of butter and a pinch of sugar into the pan and bubble for 1 minute, scraping up with a wooden spoon.
- Cut the saltimbocca into 4 discs and pour over the sauce.
- This dish should be served on its own with the sauce. Maybe serve with ciabatta bread to mop up, but nothing else.