Give the humble meatball a Mediterranean makeover with Garth McColgan's recipe!
- for the meatballs:
- 2 slices toast (broken into pieces)
- 1 tblsp oregano
- 1 tblsp paprika
- 1 tblsp salt
- 1 tblsp pepper
- 6 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 450 g irish angus steak mince
- flour (to coat)
- glass white wine
- 500 ml passata
- ½ beef stock cube
- 200 ml water
- for the mint yogurt:
- 100 ml plain yogurt
- ½ courgette (seeded and finely diced)
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tbs chopped mint
- (mix together in a bowl)
- Put the broken toast into a food processor and make into crumbs.
- Add to your processor the Angus steak mince, half of the garlic, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper and blend briefly.
- Roll the mince mixture into meatballs (x 10). Coat with the flour then fry (in olive oil) for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Turn the heat up to full and add the remaining garlic plus the wine. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the passata, water and stock cube. Cook for another 10 minutes. Serve with a spoonful of mint yogurt and serve with warm pitta bread.
Created by Garth McColgan for Aldi.