Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the soup to serve.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely sliced
- 1.5 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and diced
- 100 g red lentils
- 400 ml vegetable stock, more if necessary
- 400 ml can of coconut milk
- sunflower oil, for frying
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- toasted desiccated coconut, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and celery and sauté for 8-10 minutes over a low heat until soft.
- Add the chillies, ginger and cumin and cook for a further minute.
- Add the peppers, lentils, coconut milk and the stock and stir to mix.
- Continue to cook until the peppers are soft.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Using a hand blender, purée the soup until smooth.
- Season to taste, adding salt and pepper as required and reheat.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the soup to serve.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle
- Catherine Fulvio's Courgette, Feta and Chive Tart