Pancakes with a difference!
- 180 g plain flour (white spelt works well too)
- 350 g fine polenta or cornmeal
- sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125 g sweet corn kernels
- 3 spring onion (chopped fine)
- 4 free range eggs (beaten)
- 250 ml creme fraiche
- milk, (enough to form a smooth thick batter)
- avocado and red onion salsa
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 a red onion (diced)
- 1/2 red chilli (de-seeded and chopped fine)
- 1 tblsp fresh coriander (roughly chopped)
- lime juice to taste
- sea salt
- In a large bowl sift the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in the cornmeal, and the spring onion.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the beaten eggs and creme fraiche and whisk until smooth.
- Continue to whisk in enough milk until a thick smooth batter has been reached.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Avocado and Red Onion Salsa Method:
- Peel the avocados and remove the pip. Chop into small dice. Place in a bowl and add the other ingredients. Season with lime juice and salt to taste.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Brush the pan with a little sunflower oil. Using a tablespoon - spoon 3 or 4 pancakes onto the hot pan. When golden brown, approx 3 minutes, turn over and cook the other side.
- Serve warm with the salsa and a side salad of mixed leaves.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich