Chocolate and coffee, the perfect partnership, brought to you by Dr Oetker
- 115 g (4oz) baking margarine, softened
- 115 g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 100 g (3½ oz) plain flour
- 15 g (½ oz) cocoa powder
- 7.5 ml (1½ tsp) baking powder
- 65 g (2½ oz) chocolate spread, softened
- 100 g (3½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) coffee and chicory essence
- 190 g (6½ oz) icing sugar
- chocolate shapes to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan oven, 375°F, gas 5). Line 10 cupcake tins with brown paper cup cake cases. In a mixing bowl, beat the margarine with the sugar until pale, and creamy-light in texture.
- Gradually whisk in the eggs, then sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the dry ingredients into the mixture.
- Spoon a teaspoon of the mixture into the cake cases, and make a slight indent in the mixture. Spoon a little chocolate spread on top and then cover with the remaining cake mixture. Bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 16-18 minutes until risen, lightly golden and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, place the butter in a bowl with the coffee essence and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar to make a smooth, creamy icing.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm (½inch) star nozzle and pipe a generous swirl on top of each cake. Decorate with chocolate shapes before serving.
More by Dr Oetker:
- Peanut Caramel Puddings with Chocolate Sauce
- Millionaire's Muffins
- Surprise Inside Caramel Cupcake Centres